Going Back to Basics

Sometimes we need to take a step back. Somewhere along the line, we forgot why we're doing this; we forgot what brought us here. This year, I want to grow in my faith even more and I'm convinced that the only way to do that is to go back to the beginning.

This is what I know for certain - these are the things we must remember when forget who we are..


Jesus loves me!

  • "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16


This is the purest, realest love we'll ever experience. We need to remember this truth daily. All the other points flow out of this one. I'm free because Jesus loves me. I'm new because He loves me. I am forgiven because He loves me.


I am free!

  • "For we know that our old self was crucified with Him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin  because anyone who has died has been set free from sin." Romans 6:6,7
  • "You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness." Romans 6:18

Sin can be like chains - they wrap around your arms and hold you fast. It can be difficult to break free, but Jesus's death defeated sin and death. He has broken your chains; rejoice!


I am new!

  • "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: the old has gone, the new is here!" 2 Corinthians 5:17
  • "Neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything; what counts is the new creation." Galatians 6:15

We have been born again - we are new people. Our past sins no longer count against us and we no longer bear the shame of who we were. We are a brand new creation!


I am forgiven!

  • "Then Jesus said to her, "Your sins are forgiven."" Luke 7:48
  • "...If they have sinned, they will be forgiven." James 5:15
  • "I am writing to you, dear children, because your sins have been forgiven on account of His name." 1 John 2:12

This forgiveness that God so freely offers is incredible! He has everything - a throne and a kingdom - and He left that mighty place and descended to earth to die. He wanted to forgive us once and for all. And His forgiveness never runs short. No matter what we've done, He never denies us mercy. His robes are made of mercy; they are long and cover the whole earth; warm and comforting to those who choose to cling to it; healing to those who reach out and touch it.


Sin has no power!

  • "He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross." Col 2:13-15
  • "Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed." John 8:34,35

Jesus is powerful - much more powerful than sin. This point is very similar to being free from sin, in fact, they go hand in hand. Let's say you had a job that you loathed but soon quit and found another job. If your old boss came up to you and told you that you had to work the night shift next Tuesday, would you do it? No! You have a new job and a new boss - the old one has no power to tell you what to do because you no longer work for him.

This is the foundation of our faith - that God loves us and sent His son to die for us.

A little while ago, I had a week or two where I felt very distant from God; I didn't talk to Him or read my Bible. I sat down one day with my phone and opened my notes app. I had to remind myself of why I was doing this and who God was. I made this list with these verses to remember that I am loved, a new creation and freed from sin.

From this foundation, we can begin to rebuild. When these facts are placed at the forefront of our mind, we see where we strayed and we can find peace and joy once again.

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting For God

"I'm Not Old Enough"

Being Brave